Thursday, January 15, 2009

Wine and conference championships

As we near the second to the last weekend of real football (the Pro Bowl doesn't EVEN count) I was sipping a glass of Viognier from Bridlewood Estate Winery (bridlewoodwinery.com; 1-800-467-4100) , from the Central Coast of California, Santa Ynez, and wondering, "should I predict the outcomes of these games?" The answer poured over me like the bountiful aroma of spring flowers that this Reserve Viognier sent my way: "YES, I should!"

But first, I will admit that last night we drank a Fume Blanc from Bernard Griffin, not all THAT uncommon, and it was quite good. I have to say that the Sauvignon Blanc grape that makes up a Fume Blanc just never dissapoints me, and this one was no different. The fact that this wine is under ten bucks makes it even better.

The Viognier from this evening tasted a bit more elegant, however. All I think about is springtime fragrance when I recall the nose on this wine and a very smooth taste albeit an awkward finish. Poor Shelley had a cold so she couldn't really enjoy it and Viognier is one of her very favourites (she's from Canada, eh, so I have to spell it that way).

Now for my predictions: Arizona will stun the world by beating the Eagles this weekend, 26-20. For the AFC, Baltimore will defeat the Steelers, 19-10. I can back up both predictions with sound football logic. The Cardinals are from the NFC West, where my Seahawks play, and so you always go with the division that YOUR team plays in even if it's a rival of YOUR team. Loyalty. As for the other side, there is no way that I will ever root for Pittsburgh again after they beat the Seahawks in the Super Bowl a couple of years ago. Rothlis(cheese)burger is not a very good quarterback, in my opinion.

So there you go, my third post, and I even subtly mixed in sports to go with my general wine thoughts! Amazing.

No comments: